Friday, February 11, 2011

Putting Out Fires

This is probably the craziest thing that has ever happened to me while on RA duty.  When it comes to residents who are unable to get along with their roommates or other members of the floor, RAs are required to help extinguish these fires.  But would you ever expect an RA to have to put out a real flame?  

As many of you know, RAs walk up and down the hallways in the dorms a few times every night making sure there's nothing dangerous going down.  One thing that is fairly popular, particularly among first year students, is setting fire to bulletin boards.  For some reason, people think it's okay to light fires in buildings.

While on rounds in my building, I was coming down one of the hallways when I caught sight of and smelled smoke.  When I came around the corner, a piece of paper on a bulletin board was burning.  I'm not talking about a full-fledged inferno; the paper was just smoldering.  Regardless, it was very scary.  I quickly removed the paper, and brought it to the bathroom where I ran the paper under cold water.

My question is, why do people show so much disrespect for others' work?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That is actually pretty scary to hear about because if you hadn't caught it in time, or anyone else for that matter, the sprinklers could of gone off! As many people know when a sprinkler goes off they go off all down the halls and on every floor, and in people's rooms, so all of our stuff would of been ruined!
    I honestly don't know why people find it so amusing to set fire to things in a dorm where the sprinklers could go off and destroy everyone's property! I understand people do stupid things but come on, setting fire to a bulletin board, really? Didn't people learn in like first grade not to touch things that aren't theirs? Some people just need to grow up. This is college they don't need to act like preteens.

    ReplyDelete